MyMedicare is a new voluntary patient registration model. It aims to strengthen the relationship between patients, their general practice, general practitioner and primary care teams. Find out who is eligible and how you can register.
Below are resources available to assist you in understanding and registering for MyMedicare.
For an overview and understanding, including eligibility visit https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/mymedicare
MyMedicare for General practices
To be eligible for MyMedicare, general practices must:
- provide Medicare-funded services
- be registered in the following Services Australia systems:
- Provider Digital Access (PRODA)
- Health Professional Online Services (HPOS)
- the Organisation Register
- have at least one eligible provider linked to the practice in the Organisation Register. Eligible providers can be a vocationally registered GP, non-vocationally registered GP or a GP registrar
- be accredited against the National General Practice Accreditation Scheme – non-accredited practices will have 12 months to register with an accreditation agency and gain accreditation.
An accreditation exemption is available until 30 June 2025. This is available to non-accredited practices (including sole providers) who deliver general practice services through mobile and outreach models:
- in rural settings
- in residential aged care
- in disability residential settings
- to First Nations Australians
- to people experiencing homelessness.
For more information and support on accreditation processes, see the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (for general practice) or contact your local Primary Health Network.
How to register for MyMedicare
General practices can begin the MyMedicare registration process from 1 July 2023.
To register, you must:
- make sure you are eligible
- link an organisation in PRODA to Health Professional Online Services (HPOS).
- access the Organisation Register in HPOS to:
- register your practice
- link your eligible providers.
If your practice is already registered and all participating providers are linked in the Organisation Register, you do not need to complete a second registration process. Once these steps are complete, you do not need to do anything else until patient registration becomes available in October 2023.
For more information on registering your practice, visit the Services Australia Health Professional Education website.
To Assist with setup there are a series of powerpoint presentations to guide you through. Visit https://hpe.servicesaustralia.gov.au/orgreg_orgreg.html
MyMedicare patient registration – Frequently asked questions