Up to 2 hours - 2019-2020 ongoing e-learning program
The Advance Project involves training and resources for General practice staff (GPs, nurses and practice managers) to enable them to initiate advance care planning and palliative care with their patients. The project is led by HammondCare working in partnership with various health organisations and universities, including Advance care planning (ACP) Australia and Caresearch.
Module 1: An introduction to advance care planning and palliative and supportive care
- Discuss the importance of advance care planning, palliative care, and supportive care
- Describe the role of general practice in initiating advance care planning and its benefits for patients and carers
- Explain the role of general practice in the early identification and assessment of patients’ palliative and supportive care needs
- Describe the role of general practice in identifying and assessing carers’ supportive care needs.
Module 2: An introduction to the Advance ProjectTM and resources
- Explain how evidence-based tools can be used to identify patients suitable for advance care planning discussions and assessment of palliative and supportive care needs
- Describe the benefits of using a systematic approach to initiating advance care planning and palliative care
- List the Advance ProjectTM resources that are available to support general practitioners (GPs) and general practice nurses to initiate advance care planning discussions and palliative and supportive care needs assessment
- Describe how to access the Advance ProjectTM resources at your general practice
Module 3: Successful integration of the Advance ProjectTM resources into your general practice.
- Introduce the Advance Project™ to staff in their general practice
- List strategies to facilitate successful integration of the Advance Project™ resources and assessments into their general practice
- Identify potential barriers and consider strategies to overcome implementation barriers at their general practice.
The program is designed specifically for practice managers working in Australian general practice and provides access to a number of free resources and tools assist practice managers work with GPs and practice nurses and use a team-based approach to initiating advance care planning and palliative care in their general practice. Free training opportunities involve both online training as well as individual tele-mentoring from an experienced palliative care nurse to support implementation of tools and resources into everyday clinical practice. Upon completion of the three modules the training will count towards participants’ professional CPD requirements. Training certificates will be issued upon completion of each module.
Up to 2 hours
Presenters: Online learning, Self-paced
Register at The Advance Project.
Download the program