A high level of financial literacy with the ability to manage all financial and legal requirements of the business.
- Prepare and manage budgets
- Cash flow planning and analysis
- Develop accounting and financial control systems
- Prepare financial statements and conduct financial analysis
- Develop and manage inventory control systems
- Develop patient accounting policy and procedures
- Facilitate investment planning, management and compliance
- Establish business relationships with financial advisers
- Establish and review fee schedules
- Negotiate third party contracts
- Develop reconciliation systems for third party payor reimbursement
- Facilitate superannuation/long service leave management and compliance
- Maintain compliance with tax laws and filing procedures
A well-developed understanding of the attraction, selection, training, assessment, and rewarding of employees, while also overseeing organizational leadership and culture, and ensuring compliance with employment and labour laws.
- Develop interview and induction programs.
- Establish job descriptions.
- Contracts and workplace agreements
- Understand award compliance
- Negotiating salary packages
- Develop and facilitate workforce-planning program
- Develop compensation and benefit programs
- Maintain compliance with employee laws and awards
- Develop employee placement programs
- Establish employee appraisal and evaluation systems
- Develop and implement staff training programs
- Develop and maintain practice manual
The ability to develop strategic plans defining the organisation's direction, and allocate its resources to pursue this strategy. The skill to develop public relations and customer relation programs that identify, anticipate and satisfy customer requirements, including establishing partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Establish and develop marketing tools
- Develop and implement internal and external marketing plans
- Pursue and establish partnerships and strategic alliances
- Develop and evaluate strategic plans
- Establish public relations and customer relation programs
A good understanding of data management technology with the ability to conduct information needs analysis, facilitate the development and implementation of appropriate information systems, including training and support, maintenance and security.
- Conduct information needs analysis and upgrades
- Facilitate information system purchase and installation
- Develop and implement information system training and support programs
- Oversee database management and maintenance
- Develop information network security systems
- Provide electronic education resources and systems
A high level understanding of risk management including the identification, assessment, and prioritization of risks followed by coordinated and economical application of resources to minimize, monitor, and control the probability and/or impact of unfortunate events or to maximize the realization of opportunities. Risks will include financial, legal, human resource, security of personnel and assets (data, property and equipment), physical and clinical incidents.
- Maintain legal compliance with practice structure
- Maintain practice history and develop record keeping procedures
- Develop conflict resolution and grievance procedures
- Assess and procure liability insurance
- Establish personnel and property security plans and policies
- Develop and implement quality assurance and patient satisfaction programs
- Establish patient, staff and organisational confidentiality policies
- Conduct audits of at risk financial activities
- Develop professional resource networks for risk related activities
- Negotiate, maintain and comply with contractual arrangements
- Implement and maintain infection control procedures
A good knowledge of the structures and systems and understandings that enable the organisation to make the right decisions and set the right course along with the ability to develop leadership and change-management skills.
- Develop leadership and change-agent skills
- Construct and maintain governance systems
- Evaluate and improve governing by laws, policies, and process
- Conduct stakeholders' need assessments and facilitate relationship development
The ability to ensure the organisation operates efficiently to maximise productivity and profit while providing a safe service to the satisfaction of patients. This includes ensuring sufficient resources, efficient processes, legal compliance and quality assurance programs.
- Facilitate business operations planning
- Conduct staffing analysis and scheduling
- Develop ancillary clinical support services
- Establish purchasing and inventory control systems
- Develop and implement facility/equipment planning and maintenance programs
- Establish patient flow process
- Develop and implement patient communication systems
- Develop clinical pathway structure and function
- Create monitoring system for licenses, accreditation and recertification
- Develop and implement process improvement programs for clinical operations
- Facilitate staff development and team building
- Facilitate practitioner understanding and acceptance of good business management
- Develop and implement quality assurance programs
- Provide mechanisms for administrative and clinical input and collaboration
The Practice Manager has legal and moral duty to promote ethical standards for individual and organisational behaviour and to develop interpersonal skills to achieve this. He or she should maintain their continued professional development to ensure their knowledge remains up to date and that it is applied in ways that benefit the patients, and the wider community.
- Advance professional knowledge and leadership skills
- Balance professional and personal pursuits
- Promote ethical standards for individual and organisational behaviour and decision-making
- Conduct self-assessment
- Engage in professional networking
- Advance the profession by contributing to the core principals of health care practice management
- Develop effective interpersonal skills